Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving, 2010

For those following our adoption story, we are now officially in the waiting period between the paperwork and the match. It is nice to have all the technical details finished, but waiting will be difficult in its own way. It didn't help that our social worker contacted Susan about a possible match while I was in Seattle at a conference. It didn't pan out, and so all the pictures in our minds of having a baby for the holidays this year are a source of disappointment. We are hopeful to have a match in the not-to-distant future, but right now all we can do is prepare our nursery and pray.

On the other hand, I did enjoy the conference in Seattle, which was all about SQL Server, one of the main software tools I use in my work for Shelby Systems. I learned a lot and had some fun. I met some great folks, some of whom may be on-going contacts for me. I also had a lot of time to read on the plane and in the hotel room. I finished two books on this trip: Babywise (about the first few weeks of child development after birth and how to implement a "parent-directed feeding" system to facilitate a regular feeding scheudle and, ultimately, sleeping through the night as early as possible, and also Surprised by Hope, a book on the eternal Christian hope of new life through resurrection from the dead. N.T. Wright wrote the book; he's an Anglican priest and pastor. This is the second book by Wright that I've read completely, and I continue to work through his more thorough theological master work The New Testament and the People of God. I find his work refreshing and challenging. Despite his Anglican tradition, he sticks quite closely to the biblical text to make his points. Church traditions from post-New Testament writings figure only lightly in his exegesis and application. If I didn't know better, I would often mistake his writing for that of a strict Restorationist.

Susan has been working quite a lot; it seems she is training someone new for her team every month. She enjoyed meeting the parents of one of her direct reports this week. They're from India and a fun couple. Susan says it was "like father, like daughter." Both Rohini (Susan's employee) and her dad are happy, talkative, adventurous people who are fun to be around. Rohini's dad has even e-mailed Susan inviting her to be his "friend" on Facebook!

For Thanksgiving Day today, our plan is to go to Texas de Brazil for lunch and then spend the rest of the day watching movies, probably Megamind and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1. I vote for Tangled also, but not sure we'll fit it all in. I've already gotten in an hour or so of The Lord of the Rings Online, and may resume that after the movies. Tomorrow will be our turkey and dressing day, skipping most if not all of the Black Friday madness. I'd like to see if we can get any super-great deals at Best Buy, but not sure I'd get up early enough for them.

Most thankful for this year: Susan.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home